About This Qualification
Our online Counselling qualification course will help you learn the important counselling skills required to become a counsellor. If you are interested in helping others and enjoy listening, this is the course for you.
Become a self employed counsellor on completion of this course, as you will be able to gain insurance and open your own business!
- FREE Business Start Up Course worth £95 included.
Studying our counselling course from the comfort of your own home provides you with the skills, principles and ethical qualities required to become a competent and successful counsellor.
In this Counselling course you will:
- Begin by developing good practise in a counselling setting, whilst learning how to build a relationship between counsellor and client
- Examine the ethics and moral issues with the counselling process
- Understand the important of self-development, reflecting on sessions and being self-aware as a counsellor.
Split into 7 units, every element of this course seeks to expand your understanding of Counselling, so you can achieve the theoretical knowledge you need to apply these skills within real and practical settings.
From understanding the industry to understanding relationships, theoretical approaches, confidentiality, transference, crisis and ego psychology; by the end of this course you’ll feel confident in your ability to work with your clients to improve their situation.
This course will:
- Help you to develop a strong foundation of knowledge and competency that can be transferred into your work.
- Enable you to study on your own terms – no classrooms, no strict deadlines and no exams.
- Allow you to study from home – all course materials will be sent straight to your door, enabling you to fit your studies around your obligations.
- Challenge your perceptions of Counselling, giving you ample opportunities to demonstrate your competency and comprehension of the course materials.
Unit 1: Introduction to Counselling
- What counselling is and isn’t
- How counselling differs from other helping skills
- Core skills involved in counselling
- Confidentiality issues
Unit 2: Understanding Feelings of Others
- Exploring the subject of change: its impacts and challenges
- Consideration of Boundaries and Ethics
- Setting goals, planning action – and dealing with resistance
- Ending the counselling skills relationship
Unit 3: Approaches and Models of Helping
- Counselling approaches
- The principles of skilled helping
- The use and effects of questions
- Challenges to clients’ views
Unit 4: Setting Goals
- Supervision: its importance in good practice
- Competence in record-keeping
- The importance of Continuing Personal Development (CPD) and taking care of YOU
- Using your counselling skills
Unit 5: Psychodrama Therapy
- The social atom
- Moreno’s stages of personality development
- Roles and Role Playing
- The auxiliary egos
- Warm up
- Post Action
Unit 6: Post Traumatic Stress Counselling
- Susceptibility to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Causes of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Symptoms of Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Symptoms of Traumatic Stress Disorder in Children
- Treatments for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Unit 7: Counselling and the Law
- The legal implications for counselling
- The Mental Health Acts
- Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
- Risk Assessment
- Employers’ Liability Compulsory Insurance Act 1969
- General Data Protection Regulations
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000
The BACP conducted a survey to understand additional detail relating to the use of counselling services:
- 28% of the UK population will at some point use counselling services
- 54% of people say that their family member, friend, work college or themselves have consulted a counsellor
- Stress levels across the UK are increasing, with 48% of people feeling more stress than they did five years ago
- Depression and Anxiety are the main causes for the use of counselling services.
*These are the results of the most recent survey conducted in 2014.
This course is assessed using a series of written assignments that are designed to test your knowledge of the course materials. These will need to be sent to your personal tutor for marking, whereupon they will supply you with helpful tips and feedback. No external examinations are required.
No prior knowledge or skills in counselling is needed in order to enrol onto this course, making it ideal for those just starting out in this career field.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive certification from TQUK and a Learner Unit Summary (which details of all the units you have completed). This will be a certificate in Counselling Level 3.
This course has been designed to meet the requirements of specific learners’ or employers’. It has also been endorsed under Training Qualifications UK (TQUK) Quality Licence Scheme. This means the course has undergone external quality checks to ensure that they – and the courses they offer – meet a high standard.
TQUK are a national awarding organisation that have spent years developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a diversity of different industries. They have a comprehensive portfolio of over 650 Ofqual regulated qualifications on the national Qualifications and Credit framework (QCF) for all ages and abilities post-14.
From the guidance of our personal tutors whose industry experience within counselling can help to support and mentor your studies, to our comprehensive study guide and course materials; from day one we will go above and beyond to help you succeed in your studies. With twelve months tutor support, you have the option of completing in as little as three months, or using the full twelve months.
You too can take advantage of the extensive knowledge base of our personal tutors and use their experiences to get all of your questions answered. Similarly, our student support team are readily available to lend you their advice and guidance as they help you to decipher your course materials and answer your questions.
Only one click away, you can trust that help will be there when you need it…
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you will be able to practise as a Counsellor and gain insurance to ensure that you are covered when providing your service.
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No interest charged on monthly payments
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully accredited by Ofqual regulated awarding bodies
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully accredited course, following the Ofqual qualification framework and certificated by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to pay between 3-12 months depending on what you choose.
Unlike other providers, we do not charge interest and there are no credit checks or application forms to complete!
Finance is provided directly via Association of Learning. To meet the criteria you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment is not up to scratch you can re-try as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.