About Our Course
Are you a carer looking to broaden your specialities, or simply a concerned family member worried about the long term health of a loved one? Our Stroke Awareness Level 2 course can provide you with the knowledge and the insight to effectively care for those who have had a stroke.
In just 12 months, you will understand what a stroke is and how to recognise one, but more importantly you will be equipped with proven techniques that can not only help you to reduce the risk of strokes, but also enable to minimise future incidents.
This enlightening course is a fantastic addition for carers seeking to strength their expertise and field knowledge, as it contains everything you need to ensure that those under your care are in safe hands.
From understanding the key stages of a stroke, to knowing the actions that need to be undertaken in response to an emergency stroke incident; in just under a year you will confidently be able to take these transferrable skills and employ them when implementing stroke management techniques.
And the good news is – you can achieve all of this from the comfort of your own home! This unique course has been specially designed for home study, making it possible for you to escape the classroom, learn on your own terms, and achieve a healthy work-study balance.
No matter your study preferences – fast, slow, the choice is yours – you can mould this course to fit around your work responsibilities and study as a pace that is right for you.
Split into five units, every element of this home study course is designed to broaden your awareness and comprehension on strokes; the risk factors involved and how to recognise them, so you can take this information away and deploy them in your work.
This course is especially useful for those already working within a care role, as you can use these transferrable skills to make a real difference to the lives of those in your care.
With this course you will be able to:
- Spot and minimise the risk of strokes – helping to safeguard the long-term wellbeing of your patients.
- Add a valuable qualification and specialism to your CV.
- Study from the comfort of your own home – all of our course materials will be sent straight to your home (by mail or by email), offering you a convenient and stress free way to study.
- Learn at your own pace – with a full year to complete the course you can learn as fast or as slow as you want. You can learn on your own terms…
Unit 1: Know what a stroke is
- Identify the changes in the brain associated with stroke
- Outline other conditions that may be mistaken for stroke
- Define the differences between stroke and Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA)
Unit 2: Know how to recognise a stroke
- List the signs and symptoms of stroke
- Identify the key stages of stroke
- Identify the assessment tests that are available to enable listing of the signs and symptoms
- Describe the potential changes that an individual may experience as the result of a stroke
Unit 3: Understand the management of risk factors for stroke
- State the prevalence of stroke in the UK
- Identify the common risk factors for stroke
- Describe how risk factors may vary in different settings
- Define the steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of stroke and subsequent stroke
Unit 4: Understand the importance of emergency response and treatment for stroke
- Describe why stroke is a medical emergency
- Describe the actions to be taken in response to an emergency stroke incident in line with agreed ways of working
- Identify the impact on the individual of the key stages of stroke
- Identify the correct early positioning for airway management
- Identify the information that needs to be included in reporting relevant and accurate history of the incident
Unit 5: Understand the management of stroke
- Describe why effective stroke care is important to the management of stroke
- Identify support available to individuals and others affected by stroke
- Identify other agencies or resources to signpost individuals or others for additional support and guidance
This course is assessed through the submission of one written assignment to your personal tutor. No external examinations are required.
No prior knowledge or experience in this field is needed in order to enrol onto this course, making it ideal for those first venturing out into the care profession, or for concerned family members hoping to improve the health and wellbeing of their loved ones.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that OSC has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification* but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by OSC to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications.
ABC Awards & Certa Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards and Certa Awards also offer regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
*Regulated qualification refers to those qualifications that are regulated by Ofqual / CCEA / Qualification Wales
We may specialise in the provision of home based courses; however at no point in your learning journey do you ever have to feel alone. Our personal tutors and student support team are always on hand to lend you their support, guidance and instruction so you can confidently maximise your learning potential.
From understanding your course materials, to supplying valuable feedback on your written assignment; at every opportunity you can take advantage of their industry knowledge and use it to supplement your studies.
Only one click away… you’ll never have to wait long for an answer.