About This Course
Interested in exploring a career within the world of bookkeeping and accounts? Our ICB Certificate in Bookkeeping Level 2 can help you to do just that.
In just 12 months, this specially tailored home study course, can help you to understand the principles of bookkeeping; gain a solid foundation of knowledge in this field, and help you to develop core skills that will enable you to handle both manual and computerised bookkeeping.
More importantly, it can offer you the flexibility to boost your qualifications and credentials all from the comfort of your own home. No classes. No strict deadlines.
This course has been purposefully created for home study, meaning you can easily combine this course with your current work commitments and achieve a healthy work-study balance. And with a whole year to complete it, you can experience the freedom of being able to study on your own terms.
No matter your study preferences, you can absorb these course materials at a time, pace and location of your choosing, and truly benefit from the numerous career opportunities this course can afford you.
Please Note: upon enrolment onto this course, you will gain FREE access to Sage 50 Workbook software that will enable you to practice and gain real bookkeeping skills. Your course materials will alert you to the right time to install this software. Once installed, you will have 6 months to complete the computerised section of the course.
The Sage 50 Accounts software will only work on computers which run Windows 7 or higher, therefore it will not run on Windows XP or on Apple Macintosh computers.
Accredited by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB), each of the 8 units taught on this course aims to enlighten, expand and broaden your understanding and comprehension of bookkeeping, so you can gain real and transferable skills that can be applied within the workplace.
Even if you are registering onto this course with the intention of using it to manage your own accounts; the amount of knowledge you’ll gain by doing so, can make a real difference to your career opportunities.
From understanding business documents, ledger accounts and accounting for VAT, to making and receiving payments; in just 12 short months you will be one step closer to working in this field or furthering your studies.
With this course you will:
- Become an Affiliate Member of the ICB and will be able to use the designated letters AfICB after your name (upon successfully passing the course).
- Be able to work as an Assistant Bookkeeper (under supervision).
- Be fully prepared to progress onto our ICB Level 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping and Accounts.
- Establish a solid foundation of knowledge, understanding and comprehension in bookkeeping that you will be able to easily demonstrate within your work.
Your course also includes:
- FREE ICB 1-year Annual Subscription and Registration fee
- FREE Sage software
Unit 1: Underpinning Knowledge
- Understand the importance of adhering to a code of professional ethics
- Understand the legal differences between the structure of different types of businesses
- Understand the specific accounting requirements for different accounting systems
- Understand the basic accounting concepts
- Understand the importance of legislation that applies to bookkeepers
- Understand the importance of the chart of accounts
- Understand the importance of IT systems in a modern bookkeeping world
- Understand the basic principles involved in double entry bookkeeping including the format of the accounting equation
- Identify the various methods of payment and receipts to and from a bank account
Unit 2: Prepare Business Documents
- Understand the purpose and range of business documents
- Understand the need to accurately prepare business documents for goods and services supplied
- Understand the need to check business documents received
- Understand the various rates of VAT
- Understand how to correctly account for VAT in a bookkeeping system
- Understand how to account for VAT transactions with customers in, and suppliers from, other countries
- Understand the purpose of, and making entries into, a bookkeeping system
- Calculate the value of equity
- Understand how to upload and match bank transactions
- Understand the use of control accounts in the system
- Understand the purpose and need to record petty cash
- Post appropriate journal entries into the system
- Understand the purpose and use of the trial balance
- Reconcile relevant account balances
- Understand the need to correct errors
- Produce relevant reports
To complete this course you will need to take three online assessments that are designed to test your knowledge of the course materials. These can be completed at home, at work or wherever you have access to a secure internet connection.
You must take all three of these online tests to achieve the full qualification; however, it is still possible to study this course without taking the exams. Should you opt to take this route, you will be issued with a certificate proving your completion of the course.
Please Note: Should you choose to take the online tests, you will need to pay a small fee to the ICB – separate from the cost of the course.
No prior knowledge or experience is needed in order to enrol onto this course; however having basic numeracy skills can enhance your learning experience.
This bookkeeping course comes with two options:
- You can study this course for personal interest and development – meaning you don’t have to take any exams. Instead, you will be expected to complete tutor marked assessments that will earn you a completion certificate.
- You can complete the whole course, taking all of the necessary online ICB examinations as well as doing the tutor marked assessments. Successful completion of these examinations will earn you an official ICB Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping.
The Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) is the world’s largest bookkeeping body. They began the UK in 1996 and have now got over 150,000 members. The ICB aims to provide relevant and academically recognised qualifications, as well as promote and maintain the standards of bookkeeping as a profession.
We may specialise in the provision of home study courses; however, from the moment you enrol you will be met with continuous support from our personal tutors and student support team. Our personal tutors are specialists in their field and are accessible 24 hours a day by email and 4 days a week by phone, so you can readily get all of your questions, queries and concerns answered straight away.
With their guidance and support they can help you to progress through your studies and achieve credible results in your exams.
Our student support team in turn, can lend you hours of instruction and advice, as they help you to decipher and break down the course materials. Only one click away, you’ll never have to wait long for a reply.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully endorsed by external awarding organisations
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully endorsed qualification, with certification provided by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to spread the cost of your course over a 12 month period.
Unlike other providers, there are no credit checks or application forms to complete during enrolment.
Finance is provided directly via Association of Learning. To meet the criteria you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment is not up to scratch you can re-try as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.