What if, after all of the hours of studying, the pain of the exams, and the agonising wait for results,...
A Level Geography
The new A Level Geography is designed to improve and develop learners understanding of the subject area including local and global objectives and requirements. With this course you will also have the opportunity to undertake a practical fieldwork project to further hone your skills and explore issues arising within the environment.
A Level Geography
Flexible study options
Choose a study format
Choose a way to pay
About This Course
Our A Level Geography course proves there is more to Geography than being able to read a map. Enrol onto this intense home based course and at your own pace you can develop your knowledge of natural hazards, earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis, as well as explore theories behind globalisation and human rights.
In fact, you will receive the exact same course materials and examinations that you would attending college – materials that have been updated to meet the latest academic specifications and content – however, instead of having to go to class, you can complete this 2 year course from the comfort of your own home.
No deadlines. No pressure. You can study when, where and how you want, and can even decide when YOU are ready to take your exam.
And this is great news if you are just getting back into education or are restricted by prior commitments; as you can easily fit your studies around your existing obligations without having to sacrifice on your desire to boost your mind and your CV.
Split into 8 areas of study, each of these topics is designed to broaden your understanding of Geography, whilst enabling you to acquire valuable practical skills.
The fact you can benefit from 4 consecutive days of fieldwork (at either our centres in Coventry, Bolton or Wimbledon), means when you apply to university you will have proof that you are able to apply your theoretical knowledge within a real and practical setting.
With this course, you will:
- Earn up to 56 UCAS points that can be used in your applications for university.
- Expand your knowledge, competency and understanding of hazards, glaciated landscapes, energy security and the carbon cycle.
- Challenge your mind-set, thoughts and theories.
- Encourage you to think outside of the box.
Qualification Title: A-Level Geography
Qualification Number: 9GE0
UCAS Points: Up to 56
Area of Study 1: Dynamic Landscapes
Topic 1: Tectonic Processes and Hazards
- Volcanoes, Earthquakes, and Tsunamis
- The Earth’s Internal Structure
- Plate Tectonic Theory
- Continental Drift
- Plate Boundaries
- MEDCs and LEDCs
- Tectonic Mega-disasters
- Prediction and Forecasting
- Hazard Management
Topic 2: Glaciated Landscapes and Change
- Climate Change
- Volcanic Eruptions
- The Cryosphere
- Ice Masses
- Periglacial Processes and Landforms
- Glacial Mass Balance and Glacier Movement
- Rate of Movement
- Glacial Erosion, Transportation, and Deposition
- Formation of Lowland Depositional Features
- Fluvioglacial Landforms
- Proglacial Features
- The Water Cycle and The Carbon Cycle
- Human Activity
Area of Study 2: Dynamic Places
Topic 3: Globalisation
- The Influence of Technology
- International Political and Economic Organisations
- Special Economic Zones and their Benefit
- KOF Index
- Transnational Corporations (TNCs)
- The Global Shift
- Push and Pull Factors
- International Migration
- A Global Culture
- Cultural Erosion
- Gross Domestic Product
- Social Measures of Development
- Effects of Globalisation
- Retention of Cultural Values
- Fair Trade
- Ethical Consumption Schemes
Topic 4: Regeneration Places
- Places, Reasons for, and Measuring Change
- National, Global, International and Regional Influences
- The Negative Multiplier Effect
- Media Sources
- Representations of Place
- Infrastructure Investment
- North-south Divide
- Planning Policies
- Government Policy
- Local Interest Groups
- Regeneration Strategies
- The Living Environment
Area of Study 3: Physical Systems and Sustainability
Topic 5: The Water Cycle and Water Insecurity
- Hydrological Cycle
- Water Stores
- Types of Precipitation
- A Tropical Rainforest: The Amazon
- Water Budget
- River Regimes
- Storm Hydrograph
- The Ecological Impact
- The Water Cycle and Climate Change
- Rising Demand and Diminishing Supply
- Physical and Economic Scarcity
- Water Conflicts and the Future
- Sustainable Schemes
Topic 6: Carbon Cycle and Energy Security
- The Biogeochemical Carbon Cycle
- Human Effects
- Carbon Budgets
- Carbon Sequestration in Oceans
- Thermohaline Circulation
- Terrestrial Sequestration
- The Greenhouse Effect and Climate Change
- The Concentration of Carbon
- Energy Consumption
- Fossil Fuels
Area of Study 4: Human Systems and Geopolitics
Topic 7: Superpowers
- Economic, Military, Political and Cultural Power
- Natural Resources
- Hard Power vs Soft Power
- Types of Polarity
- Geopolitical Polarity and Stability
- Emerging Nations
- Strengths and Weaknesses
- The role of TNCs
- Global Action
- International Alliances
- Arctic Oil and Gas
- Intellectual Property
- Political Spheres of Influence
- Conflicts in the Middle East
- Importance of China and India
- Economic Problems
Topic 8: Health, Human Rights and intervention
- Human Development
- Happy Planet Index
- Sharia Law
- Bolivia under Evo Morales
- Goals of Development
- The Importance of Education
- Health and Life Expectancy
- The Importance of IGOs
- Millennium Development Goals
- Human Rights
- The Transition to Democracy
- Levels of Political Corruption
- Geopolitical Interventions
- Short-term Responses
- Just War Theory
- The Effectiveness of Development Aid
- Recent Military Interventions
- The Cost of Inaction
To earn this A Level qualification you will first complete the assessments included in your course materials. These will be marked by your dedicated tutor and will prepare you for your exam.
You are required to complete three standard written exams:
- Paper 1: 2 hours and 15 minutes written exam, 30% of total marks – 16 May 2024
- Paper 2: 2 hours and 15 minutes written exam, 30% of total marks – 3 June 2024
- Paper 3: 2 hours and 15 minutes written exam, 20% of total marks – 10 June
- Fieldwork (non-exam): 20% of total marks – Submit by 15 May 2024
(all dates are subject to change)
There is a separate fee for the examinations, which are paid directly to the exam centre at time of booking. We’ll help you book your exams when you are ready (we advise to book well in advance to guarantee your place).
Please note: the dates shown above are the next available exam slots only (exams take place every year).
There is no requirement to have past qualifications or knowledge of the area to enrol on this course.
In addition – whilst not essential – the following textbooks can be used to enhance your studies and understanding of the course materials.
C. Dunn, AS/A Level Geography Student Guide 1: Tectonic Processes and Hazards: Landscape systems, processes and change
C. Dunn, AS/A level Geography Student Guide 2: Globalisation: Shaping Places
V. Pointon et al. Edexcel GCE Geography as Level Student Book and eBook
B. Digby, Geography for Edexcel A Level Year 1 and AS Student Book
All of these textbooks are available to buy from popular booksellers.
Upon completion of this A Level qualification you will receive an A Level in Geography issued by Edexcel.
Throughout the 2 year duration of this home study course, you will receive the continuous guidance and support of your very own personal tutor, who will always be on hand to take your questions or mentor you on your studies.
The course pack provided at the beginning of this course is particularly beneficial as the self-assessment exercises and tutor marked study questions can be used by your tutor to track your progression and provide you with invaluable feedback.
Similarly, you can take full advantage of our student support team, who – at just a click away – can easily answer all of your queries or concerns, so you are never left to struggle or feel isolated in your studies.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully endorsed by external awarding organisations
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
You have 2 years to complete this course, but can complete at a faster pace without any additional costs.
This is a government-regulated qualification, with certification provided by an Ofqual-regulated awarding body.
Yes, you must pass exams to gain your A Level. There is a separate fee for the examinations, which are paid directly to the exam centre at time of booking.
The only difference is you study from home, at your own pace. The exams and qualification are exactly the same.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to spread the cost of your course over a 10 month period.
If you choose to pay using a payment plan, to apply you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.
Rated #1 on Trustpilot
Why learn with us?
Trusted and regulated
Study A Levels, GCSEs, Qualifications, and Endorsed Courses
14-day money-back guarantee (terms apply)
Flexible, simple learning
Study at your own pace in your own space, without pressure
Personal expert support
Full 1-2-1 tutor support on all courses every step of the way
We guarantee to match prices (plus 5% extra off on top)
We are open 9am–10pm, 7 days a week, to help our learners
Our courses are accredited by independent awarding bodies
Get 0% finance on many of our courses
Free business course
Free business start-up short course with every purchase