While they may feel a long way away, A-Level exam season will be upon us before you know it! To...
A Level English Language and Literature
This combined A Level is a fantastic opportunity to demonstrate your ability of your literary and linguistic skills. From the outset, you will improve your understanding of these disciplines and develop your experience of English as a whole. Whatever your plans for the future, you can be assured that you will be working towards achieving a fantastic qualification that is required in all walks of life.
A Level English Language and Literature
Flexible study options
Choose a study format
Choose a way to pay
About This Course
Whether your passion lies within dissecting language and understanding the meaning behind a writers words, or you simply love losing yourself within classical prose; then our A Level in English Language and Literature can help you to balance both of these loves.
With 2 full years available to complete this course, you can take full advantage of the fact that it has been designed for home use, and can study at a pace that is right for you. No pressure. No set deadlines. You can even pick and choose when you take your exams.
And this is fantastic news if you’re looking to get back into education but are restricted by work commitments – as you can easily tailor this course around your lifestyle choices.
This course has also been updated to meet the latest academic specifications and content, meaning you will benefit from the exact same course materials, coursework and examinations that you would in college. The only difference is – you can study on your own terms.
From the captivating words of Oscar Wilde and Emily Bronte, to analysing voices in speech in writing; much of this A Level examines the same materials taught on our A Level Literature course, so please be aware of this before you enrol.
This course is designed to take the skills you acquired during your GCSEs and expand on your understanding on how language is used to achieve meaning and substance within literature.
By testing your knowledge, understanding and interpretations of the text, you can use this course to establish a strong foundation for further education, as well as test your own creative capabilities.
This course will:
- Earn you up to 56 UCAS points which can be used to secure your dream university spot.
- Challenge your analytical and writing skills, encouraging you to think outside of the box when dissecting literature and language.
- Give you the freedom and flexibility to choose when you take your exams –ensuring a stress free and convenient way to study.
Qualification Title: A-Level English Language and Literature
Qualification Number: 9ELO
UCAS Points: Up to 56
Component 1: Voices in Speech and Writing
- Voices in Speech and Writing: An Anthology
- All My Sons by Arthur Miller
Component 2: Varieties in Language and Literature
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
- The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
Component 3: Coursework
- The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
- Grayson Perry: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Girl by Wendy Jones
To earn this A Level qualification you will first complete the assessments included in your course materials. These will be marked by your dedicated tutor and will prepare you for your exam.
You are required to complete two standard written exams and one submitted practical assessment:
- Paper 1: 3 hour written exam, 40% of total marks – 24 May 2024
- Paper 2: 2 hours and 30 minutes written exam, 40% of total marks – 5 June 2024
- Practical (non-exam): 20% of total marks – Submit by 15 May 2024
(all dates are subject to change)
There is a separate fee for the examinations, which are paid directly to the exam centre at time of booking. We’ll help you book your exams when you are ready (we advise to book well in advance to guarantee your place).
Please note: the dates shown above are the next available exam slots only (exams take place every year).
There is no requirement to have past qualifications or knowledge of the area to enrol on this course.
Upon completion of this course you will receive an A Level in English Language and Literature issued by Edexcel.
Our distance learning courses may be designed for home use; however, throughout the 2-year duration of your studies you never have to struggle or feel isolated in your work.
Alongside receiving a comprehensive study guide and course materials by email or by post (upon enrolment), you will also be assigned your very own personal tutor, who will always be on hand to lend your support, guidance and advice, whenever you need it.
Similarly, our student support team are only a click away if you require help. Every step the way, our team will be there for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully endorsed by external awarding organisations
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
You have 2 years to complete this course, but can complete at a faster pace without any additional costs.
This is a government-regulated qualification, with certification provided by an Ofqual-regulated awarding body.
Yes, you must pass exams to gain your A Level. There is a separate fee for the examinations, which are paid directly to the exam centre at time of booking.
The only difference is you study from home, at your own pace. The exams and qualification are exactly the same.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to spread the cost of your course over a 10 month period.
If you choose to pay using a payment plan, to apply you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.
Rated #1 on Trustpilot
Why learn with us?
Trusted and regulated
Study A Levels, GCSEs, Qualifications, and Endorsed Courses
14-day money-back guarantee (terms apply)
Flexible, simple learning
Study at your own pace in your own space, without pressure
Personal expert support
Full 1-2-1 tutor support on all courses every step of the way
We guarantee to match prices (plus 5% extra off on top)
We are open 9am–10pm, 7 days a week, to help our learners
Our courses are accredited by independent awarding bodies
Get 0% finance on many of our courses
Free business course
Free business start-up short course with every purchase