About Our Course
Interested in working as a Teaching Assistant, but want to have a more active role within the classroom? This fascinating course bundle can offer you the dual benefit of helping you to understand the role and responsibilities of Teaching Assistants, whilst enabling you to explore the key features of autism and techniques for supporting children.
Designed for home study, you can enrol onto our Teaching Assistant Level 2 and Understanding Autism Level 3 courses, and walk away with a level of knowledge that can make a real difference to the learning development of those in your care.
All it takes is just 100 hours of your time. Yet, by the end of this course bundle not only will you understand how Teaching Assistants can support teachers in planning, teaching and evaluating learning activities; you will also know how to: communicate and develop positive working relationships with children; will understand how autism is identified and diagnosed, and will be able to recognise the key disorders which commonly accompany autism.
Best of all – you will be able to learn all of this from the comfort of your own home!
There is no need to attend any classes, or even enter a classroom. Instead, we will send all of our course materials straight to your home (via mail or email) so you can easily mould your studies around your current work commitments and achieve a healthy work-study balance.
In other words, we will provide you with the means to study on your own terms. So whether you prefer to learn in the quiet of your bedroom, or whilst munching on a sandwich during your work lunchbreak; you can make our course work for you.
This impressive course bundle can offer you the means to climb the career ladder and specialise in the support of children with autism. By understanding how autism is identified and diagnosed, you can then learn how best to support these individuals and ensure that you promote good health, social inclusion and active participation within the classroom.
You can essentially create a safe and trusting environment in which they can flourish, as you will truly understand their needs and necessity for adaptability.
This course will:
- Broaden your knowledge and understanding of Teaching Assistants, their responsibilities and the various legislations, policies and procedures required for optimum safeguarding.
- Develop your comprehension of autism and its impact on their learning, behaviour and the problems they may encounter (discrimination, bullying and access to services).
- Provide you with the opportunity to apply your newly acquired knowledge within practical scenarios (during your written assignments).
- Allow you to study when, where and how you want, and at a pace of your choosing.
- Supply you with a convenient and stress free way to study – no classrooms, no strict deadlines, no examinations…
- Give you a full two years (one year per course) to complete this course bundle.
Teaching Assistant Level 2:
Unit 1: Supporting Teaching and Learning Activities in Schools
- How teaching assistants can support the teacher in planning, teaching and evaluation of the learning activities
- The stages of planning
- Problems that may occur when supporting learning activities
- Strategies a teaching assistant may use to support pupils learning
- Providing feedback on learning activities to the teacher
Unit 2: Communication and Relationships with Children, Young People and Adults
- Communicating and developing positive working relationships with children and young people
- Communicating with adults
- Differences in communicating with adults and children
- Disagreements with adults and children
- Communication difficulties
Unit 3: Provide Effective Support for Your Colleagues
- The role and responsibilities of the teaching assistant
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of others in the school team
- The role of external professionals
- Maintaining good working relationships
- Professional practice within schools
Unit 4: Safeguarding Children and Young People: The Maintenance of a Safe Working Environment
- Legislation, policies, and procedures for safeguarding children
- Prepare and maintain a safe working environment for children
- The procedures and actions in response to an emergency in school
- Types of abuse that children may experience
- Behaviour management
Unit 5: Supporting Children’s and Young People’s Development
- Physical, emotional, communication, social and behavioural development
- Observation methods used to record learning and development
- Transitions that children may experience
Unit 6: Schools as Organisations
- Structures of education
- Specialist schools
- Legislation and school policies
- The National Curriculum
- The Office for Standards in Education (OFSTED)
- The primary framework
- Early year’s foundation stage
Understanding Autism Level 3:
Unit 1: Introduction to Autism
- The triad of impairments
- Communication and social interaction
- Repetitive and obsessive behaviour
Unit 2: Supporting individuals with Communication, Social Interaction and Behaviour
- Formal and informal networks
- Communication and social reaction
- Managing behaviour
Unit 3: Understanding Sensory Processing Disorder
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Five key senses
- The vestibular system’
Unit 4: Identifying and understanding other conditions associated with autism
- Supporting individuals
Unit 5: Supporting individuals with autism to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle
- Poor health
- Social exclusion
- Develop plans
- Social inclusion
Unit 6: The importance of person-centred values in supporting individuals with autism
- Person-centred values
- Person-centred practice
This course is assessed using a series of written assignments that are designed to test your knowledge of the course syllabus. These will need to be submitted to your personal tutor for marking. No external examinations are required.
No prior knowledge or experience is needed in order to enrol onto this course; however having a good standard of English (level 2 preferably) would prove beneficial to your studies.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive two Certificates of Achievement by ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which details of all the units you have completed). These will be certificates in Teaching Assistant Level 2 and Understanding Autism Level 3.
This course has been designed by Open Study College to meet the requirements of specific learners or employers’. It has also been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme. This means Open Study College have undergone external quality checks to ensure that they – and the courses they offer – meet a high standard.
It is important to note that completion of this course alone will not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification; however, it may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards future regulated qualifications. The unit summary can also be used as evidence towards your Recognition of Prior Learning (should you wish to further your studies within this field).
ABC Awards are a national awarding organisation that have spent years developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a diversity of different industries. They have a comprehensive portfolio of over 650 Ofqual regulated qualifications on the national Qualifications and Credit framework (QCF) for all ages and abilities post-14.
We may specialise in the provision of home based courses; however that does not mean you have to feel alone or isolated in your studies. From the moment you enrol, you can harness the knowledge and expertise of our personal tutors as they seek to instruct, guide and inform your studies and understanding of the course materials. At the same time, you can readily contact our student support team, who at a click of the button will always be available to answer your queries.
No matter your questions or concerns, you can contact our team and trust that their support will always be on hand.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No interest charged on monthly payments
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully accredited by Ofqual regulated awarding bodies
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully accredited course, following the Ofqual qualification framework and certificated by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to pay between 3-12 months depending on what you choose.
Unlike other providers, we do not charge interest and there are no credit checks or application forms to complete!
Finance is provided directly via Association of Learning. To meet the criteria you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment is not up to scratch you can re-try as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.