About Our Course
Are you interested in working within a supporting role for children with special educational needs? Our exclusive Teaching Assistant and Special Educational Needs Level 3 course bundle can provide you with all the skills, the knowledge and the information you need to explore this career field.
Not only can this home based course help you to explore the role and responsibilities that come with working as a Teaching Assistant; in just two years (one year per course) you can also learn how to support learning through activities and adapt them for children with speech, language and communication issues.
More importantly, you can study this course from the comfort of your own home.
This impressive course bundle has been specially designed for home study, making it possible for you to enrol onto this course, achieve this qualification AND still manage to keep up with your current work commitments.
Our course is highly adaptable and will easily mould around your needs so you can achieve a healthy work-study balance. At the same time, it offers you the flexibility to study when, where and how you want, and at your own pace.
And this is fantastic news if you haven’t got the time to get back into the classroom, as you can make this course work for you.
Prefer to study on the settee? You can. Only got time to complete your assignments on your lunchbreak? This course gives you the freedom to do so.
We’ll even send all of your course materials to your home – via mail or email – so you can start this course when you are ready.
From learning how to be an effective team member, to knowing how to plan early year’s curriculum; by the end of this course you will have the skills to tailor your teaching plans to fit the needs of your students, and will understand the impact special educational needs can have upon learning and development.
This course bundle can provide the perfect stepping stone for those looking to develop a career as a Teaching Assistant, but want to specialise in supporting those with educational needs.
Through the use of written assignments, you will be able to demonstrate your theoretical knowledge on behavioural, social and emotional difficulties, and will know how to adapt your teaching methods and activities to ensure that the children in your care receive maximum support.
In turn, you will achieve a level of comprehension and competency in this subject that will ensure that you make a credible difference to the learning development of those you assist.
This course will:
- Allow you to study from the comfort of your own home – no classes, no examinations, and no strict deadlines… all of your course materials will be sent to your home.
- Enable you to learn on your own terms and at your own pace.
- Help you to achieve a healthy work-study balance.
- Broaden your knowledge and understanding on special educational needs and the techniques you can employ to help children to grow and flourish.
- Help you to discover how to make a difference to children’s learning by identifying and planning for the special educational needs (SENs) of each individual.
Teaching Assistant Level 3:
Unit 1: Supporting Learning through Activities
- Accommodating different learning styles
- Independent learning
- Supporting independent learning
- Learning activities
- Primary school activities
- Secondary school activities
- Feedback on learning activities
Unit 2: Learning Through Play
- Play and development
- Creating play spaces
- Involving children in play space creation
- The importance of the consultation process
- Supporting a play session
- Play space legislation
- Disability Discrimination Act 1995
- Risk assessments for play spaces
Unit 3: Developing Positive Behaviour
- Modelling appropriate behaviour
- External factors
- Supporting behavioural difficulties
- Rewarding positive behaviour
- Recognising positive behaviour
Unit 4: Becoming an Effective Team Member
- Effective communication
- Applying communication to teams
- Team working
- Relationship issues within a team
- Minimising conflict
- Coordinating the classroom
Unit 5: Early Years Curriculum Planning
- Learning and development patterns
- Intellectual learning and development patterns
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Physical development
- Communication and language
- Creating a stimulating work environment
Unit 6: Supporting Pupils with Particular Needs
- Gifted and talented programmes
- Delivering a gifted and talented programme
- Equality of access legislation
- Providing equality of access
- Interaction and communication needs
- Promoting non-verbal communication skills
- Supporting emotional and social needs
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
Special Education Needs Level 3:
Unit 1: Working with Children with Special Educational Needs
- Legal and regulatory requirements
- Types of discrimination
- The Equality Act 2010
- Special Educational Needs (SEN) Code of Practice
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child
- The United Nations Convention on Persons with Disabilities
- Inclusive practice
- Working in partnership
- Adapting practice
Unit 2: Understanding and Promoting Children’s Development
- Pattern and sequence of child development
- Influences on development
- Why development may not follow the expected pattern
Unit 3: Speech, Language and Communication (SLC) Difficulties
- Defining speech, language and communication difficulties
- Effects and impact of SLC difficulties
- Adapting communication methods
- Supporting English as an additional language
- Supporting speech and language difficulties
Unit 4: Social, Emotional and Behavioural (SEB) Difficulties
- Psychological needs
- External triggers
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- The link between SEB and language difficulties
Unit 5: Chronic Illnesses and Physical Disabilities
- Physical disabilities
- Cystic fibrosis
- Spina bifida
- Visual impairments
- Hearing impairments
Unit 6: Assessment and Planning to Meet Individual Needs
- Identifying individual needs
- A child-centred approach
- Assessment frameworks
- The common assessment framework
This course is assessed using a series of written assignments that are designed to test your knowledge of the course syllabus. These will need to be submitted to your personal tutor for marking, whereupon they will supply you with advice and feedback. No external examinations are required.
No previous knowledge or experience is needed in order to enrol onto this course. However, it is recommended that students complete the Level 2 Teaching Assistant course first to help maximise their learning potential.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that OSC has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification* but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by OSC to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications.
ABC Awards & Certa Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards and Certa Awards also offer regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
*Regulated qualification refers to those qualifications that are regulated by Ofqual / CCEA / Qualification Wales
Whilst we may specialise in the provision of home based courses; this doesn’t mean you ever have to struggle or feel isolated in your studies. From the moment you enrol, you can harness the knowledge and expertise of our personal tutors – whose years of experience in the field can help to instruct, guide and inform your studies.
Our student support team are similarly highly trained and at a click of a button will always be on hand to answer your questions, queries or concerns.
No matter the question, you can contact our team and trust that they will go above and beyond to give you the support you need, when you need it and maximise your learning potential.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No interest charged on monthly payments
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully accredited by Ofqual regulated awarding bodies
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully accredited course, following the Ofqual qualification framework and certificated by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to pay between 3-12 months depending on what you choose.
Unlike other providers, we do not charge interest and there are no credit checks or application forms to complete!
Finance is provided directly via Association of Learning. To meet the criteria you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment is not up to scratch you can re-try as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.
Unlike other providers, Association of Learning use a fast track system to get your certificate to you within six weeks (our average is two weeks).