About This Course
Working with children can be an incredible rewarding and humbling experience. Through your input and teachings you can help to mould their educational development and growth.
Our Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools has been purposefully designed to take your passion for working with children and help you to progress your career to new heights.
With its assistance you can attain the knowledge, insights and understanding to begin your journey towards becoming a senior teaching assistant, senior learning support assistant or a senior special educational needs assistant, and do so safe in the knowledge that this course will cover everything your future employers will expect of you.
More importantly, you can complete this distance learning course from the comfort of your own home and still be able to work. There are no deadlines or pressure involved. Instead you can study when, where and how you like, and easily adapt this course to suit your current obligations.
This qualification has been created by leading industry specialists with the purpose of providing you with a solid knowledge base in supporting teaching and learning.
From understanding child development and influences, to broadening your knowledge on safeguarding, welfare and legislation; every element of this nationally recognised qualification can enrich, enlighten and prepare you for a highly fascinating, long term career.
Split into 11 units and 180 hours (on average) of study time; this 1 year course can help you to achieve a senior role supporting teaching and learning within the classroom, whilst giving you the flexibility to work with children and young people from the ages of 5-19 years old.
With every unit you complete, you will achieve a deeper level of comprehension and competency, as well as a range of skills that can easily be transferred into a practical working environment.
This course will:
- Assist you towards further vocational training and placement opportunities
- Help you to climb the career ladder towards more senior teaching assistant roles
- Challenge your understanding of the role, whilst equipping you towards taking a more active role in the planning and organising of classes
- Enable you to study at a pace of your choosing, free of deadlines, exam pressure and stress
- Encourage your own personal development and the evaluation of your skills.
RQF Qualification Number: 603/2498/3
Unit 1: Schools and Colleges as Organisations
- The structure of education from early years to post-compulsory education
- How schools are organised in terms of roles and responsibilities
- School ethos, mission, aims and values
- Legislation affecting schools
- School policies and procedures
- The wider context in which schools operate
Unit 2: Support Health and Safety in a Learning Environment
- Providing environments and services that support children and young people’s health and safety
- Recognising and managing risks to health, safety and security
- Supporting children and young people to manage risk for themselves
- Understanding appropriate responses to accidents, incidents, emergencies and illnesses
Unit 3: Understand how to Safeguard Children and Young People
- Legislation, guidelines, policies and procedures for safeguarding children and young people
- Working in partnership with other organisations to safeguard children and young people
- Ensuring children and young people’s safety and protection in the work setting
- Responding to evidence or concerns that a child or young person has been abused or harmed
- Responding to evidence or concerns that a child or young person has been bullied
- Working with children and young people to support their safety and well-being
- E-safety for children and young people
Unit 4: Develop Professional Relationships with Children, Young People and Adults
- Developing professional relationships
- Communicating with children and young people
- Developing professional relationships with adults.
- Supporting children and young people in developing relationships.
- Complying with policies and procedures for confidentiality and data protection.
Unit 5: Understand how Children and Young People Develop
- Development of children and young people from birth – 19 years
- Factors that influence children and young people’s development and how these affect practice
- Monitoring children and young people’s development and interventions that should take place if this is not following the expected pattern
- Importance of early intervention to support the speech, language and communication needs of children and young people
- Potential effects of transitions on children and young people’s development
Unit 6: Support Positive Behaviour in Children and Young People
- Policies and procedures for promoting children and young people’s positive behaviour
- Promoting positive behaviour
- Managing inappropriate behaviour
- Responding to challenging behaviour
- Contributing to reviews of behaviour and behaviour policies
Unit 7: Support Children and Young People During Learning Activities
- Contributing to planning learning activities
- Preparing for learning activities
- Supporting learning activities
- Observing and reporting on learner participation and progress
- Contributing to the evaluation of learning activities
- Evaluating own practice in relation to supporting literacy, numeracy and IT
Unit 8: Support English and Maths Skills
- Gain the ability to provide English and maths support across teaching and learning
- Learn a range of strategies that develop a learner’s confidence to read, write, communicate and solve mathematical problems
Unit 9: Support the use of ICT in the Learning Environment
- Develop your capacity to offer ICT support across all teaching and learning environments
- Study policies and procedures & resource preparation
- Learn the skills needed to promote learning and support learners to review their achievements
Unit 10: Support assessment for learning
- Understand the purpose and characteristics of assessment for learning
- Using assessment strategies to promote learning
- Supporting learners in reviewing their learning strategies and achievements
- Contributing to reviewing assessment for learning
Unit 11: Engage in Personal and Professional Development
- Understand what is required for competence in own work role
- Reflecting on practice
- Evaluating own performance
- Agreeing a personal development plan
- Using learning opportunities and reflective practice to contribute to personal development
All units are internally assessed, enabling your workplace practice to provide evidence of your achievements to be used in your individual units, as well as for the whole qualification. Your practical skills will also need to be assessed within your working environment. For this reason, you will need to secure a placement with a school that can provide you with a suitably qualified teacher and workplace assessor, who can: observe; comment on your skills, and write a report to meet the assessment requirements.
This direct observation will be used as evidence towards your qualification.
Methods of assessment:
- Direct observation of practice
- Witness evidence when directed by the sector skills assessment strategy
- Professional discussion
- Reflection on own practice in real work situations
- Written assignments
Please note: Recognition of prior learning is relevant if you have already studied and passed:
- Units 1-4 and Unit 10 as part of the Level 3 Award in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
If you have already studied and passed Units 1-4 and Unit 10 (as part of this certificate), we can support your progression by transferring credit from these units to your Level 3 Certificate. This means any credits achieved through these units will count towards your Certificate, so you won’t have to repeat any previously studied units.
To enrol onto this course you will need to be at least 16 years old and have a placement in a school setting (UK) totalling up to 50 hours. This can be a working, volunteering or practical placement (that follows the National Curriculum for Key stage 1 or above), where you can show your competency in both knowledge and skill. The teachers you work alongside must be suitably qualified (QTS), so that they can act as an assessor to provide at least 3 written observations on your work, as well as sign off on any additional evidence that you can supply from your placement.
We recommend that students are also fluent in English Language and have basic IT skills.
Upon successful completion of this course you will receive a NCFE CACHE Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Teaching & Learnings.
This means that you will achieve a Level 3 qualification on The Qualifications and Credit Framework (RQF) for England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
From the moment you enrol, you will receive the immediate support of your own dedicated personal tutor who will always be on hand to guide, instruct and enhance your learning. Accessible via mail or by email, at a click of a button you can voice your queries or concerns, and absorb all the advice and feedback they have got to give, as they thoroughly review, assess and grade your written assignments.
In addition, you can harness the expertise of our student support team, who will gladly divulge their knowledge and resources, so you can achieve optimum results. From start to finish, you will never have to feel alone in your studies.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully endorsed Ofqual regulated awarding bodies
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully endorsed qualification, with certification provided by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to spread the cost of your course over a 10 month period.
If you choose to pay using a payment plan, to apply you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment doesn’t pass first time, you can retry as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.