About Our Course
Whether you are a parent looking to offer your child with autism the best in support and care, or are simply a Teaching Assistant interested in expanding your specialisms; our Supporting Children and Young People with Autism Level 3 course can provide with the knowledge you need.
With a full year to complete your studies, you can enrol onto this home based course and not only develop a deeper understanding of how to support children and young people with autism, but can use it to explore the impairments and sensory sensitivities that come with autism.
This insightful course contains everything you need to know to help care for autistic children and ensure that they surrounded by those that truly understand what they are experiencing.
From knowing how to use visual strategies to support their learning and development, to understanding the best methods for communication and engagement, by the end of this course you will be able to create a suitable learning environment where they can feel safe and thrive.
And the good news is – you can learn all of this from the comfort of your own home. No classes. No examinations. No restrictions.
You can enrol onto this course and complete it at a time, place and location of your choosing. More importantly, you can mould this course to fit around your current work obligations and achieve a healthy work-study balance.
Prefer to learn relaxed on the settee? You can. Only able to study on your lunch breaks? With our course, you can study when the time is right for you. In fact, you can study as fast or as slow as you want, and can benefit from having your entire course materials emailed or mailed straight to your home.
Structured around eight learning outcomes, by the end of this 12 month course you will have achieved a level of comprehension and competency that will make you a real asset in the care of children with autism.
More importantly, you will walk away with a breadth of knowledge that can make a substantial difference to their emotional development and ability to socially engage with others.
For parents, the information and visual strategies that you will acquire on this course will help you to deal with their sensory sensitivities and help them to overcome communication problems and potential development issues.
This course will:
- Challenge your understanding of autism and the strategies typically used to assist children with autism.
- Help you to achieve a deeper appreciation of what children with autism are dealing with.
- Develop and kick start your career in this field.
- Allow you to study when, where and how you want, and at a pace of your choosing – no examinations, no classrooms, no strict deadlines…
Understand the impairments and sensory sensitivities associated with autism
- How the impairments associated with autism can be categorised into either a triad or dyad of impairments
- Characteristics associated with each type of impairment
- How children and young people with autism may be hypersensitive or hyposensitive with each of the seven senses
- How to assess the impairments, in relation to the triad or dyad of impairments, and the sensory sensitivities of an individual child or young person with autism
Be able to devise and use visual strategies to support learning and development
- How visual strategies can be used to support the learning and development of children and young people with autism
- Know how each strategy will be applied, monitored and how the impact will be measured
Be able to assess the communication abilities and development needs of a child or young person with autism
- How assessment finding can be used to support the development of communication skills in a child or young person with autism
Be able to evaluate techniques, strategies and resources for supporting the development of communication skills for a child or young person with autism
- The appropriate of different techniques and strategies that could be used to support the development of communication skills for an individual child or young person
Understand strategies to support the development of social skills in children and young people with autism
- How different strategies for developing social skills could be applied to support the development of social skills for an individual child or young person with autism
Understand how to develop a suitable learning environment for children or young people with autism
- How a specific environment could be improved to better support the learning and development of children or young people with autism
- Evaluate a specific setting against relevant local and national standards to assess its suitability as a learning environment for children or young people with autism
Understand the importance of developing a relationship with the parents/carers of children or young people with autism
- Explain the ‘working in a parent/carer partnership’ model, and how it benefits the child or young person
Be able to analyse the behaviour of a child or young person with autism and identify strategies for reducing or eliminating challenging behaviours
- Develop an appropriate tool to record relevant observations of the behaviour of an individual child or young person with autism over a period of days
- Explain possible strategies for reducing or eliminating challenging behaviours
- The skills a child or young person needs to develop to better manage their own behaviours
This course is assessed through the submission of one written assignment to your personal tutor for marking. No external examinations are required.
No previous knowledge or experience is needed in order to enrol onto this course, making it ideal for parents looking to support their children or for Teaching Assistants hoping to expand their specialisms.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a Certificate of Achievement by ABC Awards in Supporting Children and Young People with Autism Level 3.
This course has been designed by Open Study College to meet the requirements of specific learners’ or employers’. It has also been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme. This means Open Study College have undergone external quality checks to ensure that they – and the courses they offer – meet a high standard.
It is important to note that completion of this course alone will not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification; however, it may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards future regulated qualifications. The unit summary can also be used as evidence towards your Recognition of Prior Learning (should you wish to further your studies within this field).
ABC Awards are a national awarding organisation that have spent years developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a diversity of different industries. They have a comprehensive portfolio of over 650 Ofqual regulated qualifications on the national Qualifications and Credit framework (QCF) for all ages and abilities post-14.
We take pride in our ability to support our students over the course of their studies, as they seek to broaden their skillsets from the comfort of their own home.
From our comprehensive course materials and study guides, to the expertise of our personal tutors, whose years of industry experience can supply you with countless hours of advice, tips and guidance; from the moment you enrol, you can trust that we will be there to support you every step of the way.
Our student support team are similarly always on hand to answer your queries and concerns, meaning should you have a question; you never have to struggle or feel isolated in your studies. Just one click away, help will always be available to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No interest charged on monthly payments
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully accredited by Ofqual regulated awarding bodies
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully accredited course, following the Ofqual qualification framework and certificated by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to pay between 3-12 months depending on what you choose.
Unlike other providers, we do not charge interest and there are no credit checks or application forms to complete!
Finance is provided directly via Association of Learning. To meet the criteria you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment is not up to scratch you can re-try as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.