About This Course
Whether you already work in psychology and wish to broaden your specialisms into early years and child psychology, or you are simply interested in the inner workings of a child’s mind and development; our Early Years and Child Psychology Level 3 Bundle can help you to delve into this world.
This unique distance learning course can provide you with an in-depth insight into all areas of early years and child psychology; enabling you to develop a thorough understanding of the early years foundation stage, as well as a deeper appreciation of the latest guidance on children’s development, health, safety and welfare.
Most importantly, this course has been purposefully tailored for home study, so you can experience the freedom of being able to study when, where and how you want without having to sacrifice your current commitments.
No pressure. No deadlines. No examinations. No classrooms. You can achieve the perfect work-study balance, and study from the comfort of your own home; all whilst acquiring a fascinating view into the minds, development and behaviour of children as they grow from babies to pre-schoolers to beyond.
At the same time, you will be afforded the opportunity to demonstrate your commitment to the child care sectors to potential employers.
Our course covers everything you need to secure your dream job working in child psychology, whilst providing you with the tools to successfully mould, assist and support children in need of a helping hand.
From their emotional, social and moral development, to the importance of language and communication; after completion you’ll feel confident in your ability to build a career within this fascinating field.
Split into 2 sections – early years and child psychology – this course bundle aims to enlighten, enrich and broaden your understanding of the real life applications of child psychology, so you can confidently explore a wide range of careers.
Even if you are a parent simply striving to understand your child and what can affect their growth and learning; each of the 12 units taught on this course, will develop your competency so you are able to form positive relationships, and provide an enabling environment that will nurture, support and awaken their learning potential.
This course will:
- Enable you to apply your theoretical knowledge to potential work scenarios
- Challenge your knowledge and perspectives, encouraging you to demonstrate them in your work
- Allow you to work at a pace of your choosing, free of deadlines, stress and examinations
- Send all of your course materials straight to your home, providing a convenient way to study
Early Years Level 3
Unit 1: A Unique Child
- A child’s development
- Factors affecting development
- Meeting the individual child’s needs
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Promoting children’s physical and emotional wellbeing
- The Children Act 1989
Unit 2: Developing Positive Relationships
- Respectful relationships
- Communication needs
- Relationships within early years settings
- Children’s friendships
- The Key Worker
- Effective communication with children
- Partnerships with parents
- Effective communication with parents
- Multi-agency working
Unit 3: Providing an Enabling Environment
- Organising the environment
- Laws and legislation
- Heating, Lighting and Ventilation
- Safety Equipment
- Risk Assessment
- The indoor environment
- The outdoor environment
- The wider environment
- The Common Assessment Framework
Unit 4: Supporting Children’s Learning and Development
- Areas of development
- The characteristics of effective learning
- Playing and exploring
- Active learning
- The prime areas of learning
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- The specific areas of learning
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design
- Planning to meet children’s development needs
Unit 5: Effective Planning, Observation and Assessment
- Methods of observation
- Factors to consider when observing children
- Statutory assessment
- The Early Years Foundation Stage Profile
- Long-term planning
- Medium-term planning
- Short-term planning
Unit 6: Safeguarding the Welfare of the Child
- Child protection
- Spotting signs of abuse
- Responding to concerns
- RIDDOR 1995
- Providing a nutritionally balanced diet
- Food safety and hygiene
- Behaviour management
- The layout of the environment
Child Psychology Level 3
Unit 1: Defining Child Psychology
- How can we define childhood?
- Historical perspectives of childhood
- Emergence of psychology
- Psychoanalytical perspective
- Classical conditioning
- Changing behaviour
- The cognitive, physiological, scientific, humanistic and evolutionary approaches to psychology
- Research methods in psychology
- Child psychology tools
Unit 2: Forming Relationships in Childhood
- Nature/nurture debate
- Bowlby’s theory
- Innate programming
- Different types of attachment
- Disruption of attachment
- The child’s first relationship
Unit 3: Perception, Cognition and Language
- Understanding language
- Cognitive structure and input
- Plurals, syntax and grammar
- The relevance of language to child psychology
- Vision and cognitive development
- Hearing and cognitive development
- Unit 4: Emotional, Social and Moral Development
- Social learning theory
- Cognitive priming
- Kohlberg’s perspective
- Eisenberg’s perspective
- Emotion and morality
- Temperament and emotional development
- Unit 5: Children’s Minds
- Memory and memory processes
- Short and long term memory
- Models of memory
- Prenatal memory and learning
- From memory to mental activity
- The organisation of children’s minds
- How children view others in their world
- How does all this relate to child psychology?
- Unit 6: Moving Towards Adulthood
- Having a sense of gender
This distance learning course is assessed using a series of written assignments that are designed to test your knowledge of the syllabus taught on this course.
These assignments will be submitted – via mail or by email – to your personal tutor, who upon marking your work, will also supply you with valuable feedback and tips which can be used to boost your grades.
No external examinations are required.
No prior knowledge or experience is required to enrol onto this course bundle. Nor do you already have to be working within a childcare, education or psychology environment.
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that OSC has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification* but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by OSC to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications.
ABC Awards & Certa Awards endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards and Certa Awards also offer regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
*Regulated qualification refers to those qualifications that are regulated by Ofqual / CCEA / Qualification Wales
From our detailed course materials and comprehensive study guides, to our dedicated personal tutors and student support team; from the moment you enrol onto this 2 year course you will never be alone.
We take pride in being able to support our students throughout their studies, and aim to be accessible both by mail and by email so you can always reach our team.
Similarly, our personal tutors strive to maximise your potential by answering all of your questions and by providing you with valuable advice and feedback as they mark your assignments. From start to finish, the support, instruction and guidance of our team is only a click away…
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully endorsed by external awarding organisations
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully endorsed qualification, with certification provided by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to spread the cost of your course over a 10 month period.
If you choose to pay using a payment plan, to apply you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment doesn’t pass first time, you can retry as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.