About This Course
There’s no better time to be an HLTA – the evolution of the classroom environment means demand is higher than ever for talented teaching assistants who can take on new responsibilities and challenges.
An HLTA with specialist skills can be an indispensable member of the teaching team, able to perform a variety of important duties such as cover for teachers during absence, and offer 1-to-1 support to pupils with more complex needs.
This is an advanced level 5 course that both expands on established HLTA concepts in more detail, and focuses on the more specialist areas of the role, such as helping individuals with Special Educational Needs (SEN).
This is extended course comprising of 10 in-depth units that you will study at your own pace, from the comfort of your own home.
On completing the course you will find yourself better equipped to deal with the requirements of working as a senior HLTA, expanding on your current skills and allowing you to take on greater responsibilities in your role.
This course will:
- Enable you to embrace workplace challenges by developing your knowledge, understanding and skills
- Broaden your knowledge on how to support pupils, especially those with additional and complex needs
- Take on more responsibility in the classroom by assisting with lesson planning, creating support materials, and managing other support staff
- Enable you to work with teachers to raise teaching standards within the school as well as ensure students are able to reach their true potential
- Boost your earning potential and salary grade.
More importantly, you will be ready to progress in your uniquely fulfilling career that will be both challenging and rewarding.
Unit 1: Communication and Positive Relationships
- How to develop positive relationships in the classroom
- Why communication is important
- Principles and practices that contribute to positive relationship building
Unit 2: Supporting Teachers in their Absence
- Specified work
- How HLTAs teach
- The planning, delivery and assessment process
Unit 3: Focused Classroom Teaching
- The role of focused teaching
- How the HLTA helps students, the teacher and learning
- Teaching styles and techniques
Unit 4: Creating a Safe Learning Environment
- How you can help to create a safe space for students
- Risk management
- Ways to create safe spaces for students
Unit 5: Challenging Behaviour, Communication and Complaints
- The different types of challenging behaviour you may encounter
- Reasons for challenging behaviour
- Behaviour management techniques
Unit 6: Supporting Child Development
- How to increase awareness of child development
- Child development skills
- How you can support child development
Unit 7: Being a Reflective Teacher
- Reflective practice
- How to build reflective practice into teaching
- The importance of professional development
Unit 8: Special Educational Needs (SEN) in Children and Young People
- The SEND Code of Practice
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Schools
- Reducing Discrimination in Schools
Unit 9: Developing Planning and Assessments to Meet Individual Needs
- Improving Outcomes
- Careers Advice and Support
- Curriculum and assessment planning
Unit 10: Supporting Individuals with Autism with Communication and Social Interaction
- Speech Delays and Autism
- Conditions that Impact Autism
- The Person Centred Approach
There is no face-to-face element and no exams in this course, which is assessed based on a series of written assignments and questions (requiring descriptive answers) that will test your course knowledge on a unit by unit basis. Within these assignments, you will need to be able to demonstrate your knowledge to your personal tutor, as well as be able to reflect on your practice when applied within the workplace.
You can enrol on this course at any time, making it ideal for those wishing to combine their studies with their existing job commitments. All we ask is that you complete these units within a year of your registration.
There are no requirements to have completed any courses to be able to enrol on this course – you do not have to be employed as a Teaching Assistant either.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive certification from National Institution of Qualifications (NIOQ) and a Learner Unit Summary (which details of all the units you have completed).
This course has been designed to meet the requirements of specific learners or employers. It is endorsed by National Institution of Qualifications, meaning the course has undergone external quality checks to ensure that they are maintained and delivered to an excellent standard.
National Institution of Qualifications are a national certificating organisation. Endorsement of our courses ensures learners have access to high quality materials that cover all learning outcomes, helping them to achieve their potential.
Upon registration you will receive immediate access to a course your assessments and a comprehensive study guide. In addition, you’ll receive the continuous support of your very own personal tutor as well as access to our student support team who’ll always be on hand to answer any queries.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully endorsed Ofqual regulated awarding bodies
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to spread the cost of your course over a 10 month period.
If you choose to pay using a payment plan, to apply you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment doesn’t pass first time, you can retry as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.
Unlike other providers, Association of Learning use a fast-track system to get your certificate to you within six weeks (our average is two weeks).
This is a fully endorsed qualification, with certification provided by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.