No matter your age, gender or even the era, the desire to look and feel good about yourself has always existed. You could say, it has been ingrained into our culture, the media and the way we choose to view the world. Everywhere you look it is there.
Yet why is this? Why are we so fixated on altering our appearance?
In this article, we aim to explore the reasons why the beauty industry continues to boom – come recession or economic collapse – and how YOU can use this opportunity to launch your own credible career.
- The UK Beauty Industry is currently worth £17 billion and employs over 1 million people.
- .Despite the 2009 recession the beauty industry has continued to thrive (whilst other industries have not been so lucky).
Why is the Beauty Industry so popular?
The desire to look good and alter our appearance has existed for centuries, so for many of us the idea of getting our bodies waxed or our hair styled is considered normal. It is seen as a way to stay healthy and be clean.
However, this is not the only reason why the beauty industry continues to flourish in all economic climates. Take the following points:
- Social bonding exercise – whilst there is nothing wrong with going ‘au natural’, not everyone feels comfortable with it. In fact, many people – men and women alike – feel it is important to keep a relatively groomed appearance, so that they are not only socially accepted, but that they continue to feel good about themselves.
- Social standing – the link between the way we look and our social standing is a complex one; however, at its core it focuses on human attractiveness and expectation.You might not realise it, but in certain positions of power or standing, we expect those in those roles to be attractive i.e. actors. We expect them to look the part, and in turn place similar expectations on ourselves. This is where the desire for personal grooming comes into play, as deep down we all want to be seen by others a particular way.
- Success – carrying on from the point above, attractiveness is also associated with success. Now whilst this isn’t strictly true – we shape our own destinies – a groomed appearance gives the immediate impression that you take care of yourself and that you are more likely to be organised and cohesive.
- Mating – you might think ‘mating’ is reserved to animals, yet we are mammals too and as such – on a subconscious level – we all seek to find ‘a mate’. As a result, we all want to be seen as attractive and desirable. Again, this is where personal grooming proves ever popular, as having your nails done or ensuring your skin is silky smooth, can all help to make you feel more confident and happy with your appearance (as you’ll know you have taken the time to take care of yourself).
- Well-being – according to numerous experts, one of the primary reasons the beauty industry has continued to boom is due to changing attitudes on mental and physical health. Whilst in the past our well-being has ranked fairly low on the to-do list; the growing link between not looking after ourselves and our physical and mental health, has resulted in more and more people taking the connection seriously.And it is true…Whilst a massage won’t rid you of depression or anxiety, introducing beauty treatments into your daily regime will encourage you to take better care of your mind, body and soul.
- Male – you may think that the beauty industry is a predominantly female market; however, in recent years there has been a rise in demand for quality male grooming products. From designer haircuts to waxing; more and more men are paying attention to their appearance and are no longer letting ‘issues’ stop them from improving the way they look. As a result, the demand for beauty treatments is increasing across all sexes.
From personal reasons to dealing with social pressure, it is pretty clear from the points above that the beauty industry is going nowhere. If anything, the demand for beauty treatments is set to rise!
So if you are interested in exploring this niche, then why not consider enrolling onto an online beauty therapy course? With men and women alike, all fascinated with improving their mental and physical health – specialising in this field has never been more lucrative.
For more information on our beauty therapy courses and what is needed to start your own business, visit our website today.
Join the conversationCancel Reply