About This Course
Fascinated by numbers or simply want to learn the skills that will enable you to manage your books without outsourcing to an accountant? Our ICB Certificate in Advanced Bookkeeping and Accounts Level 4 is designed to help you gain in-depth knowledge on this subject so you can do just that.
With the support of this home based course, you will acquire the skills to: become a certified bookkeeper and ICB member; apply for senior employment levels, and even become your own boss. There will be no need to employ anyone else, as you’ll be able to do it all yourself!
From learning how to draft internal management accounts (both manually and within computerised systems) and final accounts for Limited Company’s, to interpreting financial statements and partnership accounts; by the end of this one year course you will be able to confidently handle all elements of bookkeeping, accounts and much, much more…
And the great news is – you can easily fit these studies around you and your needs!
This course has been purposefully designed for home study, meaning you can easily tailor it around your current work commitments and achieve a healthy work-study balance. Similarly, thanks to its unique design, you can eliminate the stress of having to attend classes or deal with strict deadlines, and instead study at a pace that is right for you.
Fast or slow, you can learn on your own terms.
Please Note: upon enrolment onto this course, you will gain FREE access to Sage 50 Workbook software that you will enable you to practice and gain real bookkeeping skills.
Your course materials will alert you to the right time to install this software. Once installed, you will have 6 months to complete the computerised section of the course.
The Sage 50 Accounts software will only work on computers which run Windows 7 or higher, therefore it will not run on Windows XP or on Apple Macintosh computers.
Split into 5 units, each section of this course seeks to broaden your knowledge and appreciation of bookkeeping so you are fully prepared to handle whatever your accounts have got to throw at you. All of the skills you’ll acquire on this course are real and transferable, meaning you can easily apply them to your own business accounts or use them to set up a business working as a freelance bookkeeper.
In turn, successful completion of this course will upgrade your ICB membership to Member status, enabling you to put MICB after your name – letters which are sure to impress employers and future clients.
With this course you will:
- Be able to study on your own terms, at your own pace and from the comfort of your own home – all course materials will be sent to you via mail or by email.
- Earn an internationally recognised qualification.
- Be able to improve your career prospects.
- Be able to broaden your knowledge, comprehension and competency in bookkeeping, receiving ample opportunities to test your skills.
You will also receive: ICB 1-year Annual Subscription and Registration fee worth £78.00 (it can take up to 6 weeks to process the registration)
Unit 1: Limited Company Accounts
Prepare a set of final accounts for a Limited Company:
- Define the term Limited Liability
- Understand its legal status
- Identify sources of capital – shares and debentures
- Distinguish between capital and revenue reserves
- define shareholders’ equity
- account for the issue of shares and debentures
- account for dividends paid
- Prepare a set of final accounts to include adjustments and provisions, debenture interest paid and accrued, treatment of dividends and provision for corporation tax.
Unit 2: Limited Liability Partnerships
- Understand the nature of a limited liability partnership
- Understand the reasons for setting up a limited liability partnership
- Explain the limit of the liability
- Prepare a set of final accounts for a limited liability partnership (internal management accounts only)
Unit 3: Incomplete Records
- Prepare a set of final accounts for incomplete records
- Determine the opening value of capital through the accounting equation
- Determine bank and cash balances
- Prepare ledger accounts to determine missing values for sales and purchases using mark up and margin, expenses and drawings
- Identify capital expenditure
- Identify stock loss
- Prepare adjustments for accruals and prepayments
- Prepare profit and loss account and balance sheet (manual system only)
Unit 4: Calculate and post adjustments to the ledgers
- Account for changes in a partnership
- Prepare accounting entries for a change of profit sharing ratio including the admission and retirement of a partner
- Account for the treatment of goodwill on such a change in partners
- Account for a revaluation of assets in a partnership
Unit 5: Final accounts of non-incorporated businesses
- Understand the importance of interpreting financial statements for internal management purposes
- Understand the link between profitability and liquidity
- Have an awareness of the problems that might arise if long term borrowing is significantly high in relation to capital invested in the business
- Analyse and interpret financial statements
To complete this qualification you will need to do two written examinations. Both are designed to test your knowledge of the course syllabus and their application within practical scenarios.
Section 1: Comprised of an online test, this can be taken at home or at work.
Section 2: This written examination – made up of a mixture of multiple choice and data entry questions – will have to be taken at an approved ICB test centre, and will test your knowledge of all elements of the syllabus.
Examinations at the ICB test centre will need to be booked by yourself and will come with a charge separate from the course fee. This must be made payable to ICB and to your chosen test centre. For a list of approved ICB test centres, speak to one of our student support team.
Before enrolling onto this course, it is recommended that you successfully achieve an ICB Level 2 and 3 Certificate in Bookkeeping, or its equivalent with another awarding body. A background in these two courses, will help to significantly improve your learning potential.
This bookkeeping course comes with two options:
- The course can be studied for personal interest and development, meaning successful completion of the tutor marked assessments will be enough to earn a completion certificate.
- You can complete both the tutor marked assessments, as well as take all the necessary ICB examinations. Successful completion of these exams, will earn you an ICB Level 4 Certificate in Advanced Bookkeeping and Accounts.
We may specialise in the provision of distance learning courses; however, from the moment you enrol you will never be alone. From our comprehensive study guides and course materials, to the support of our personal tutors who can easily be reached by email or by phone (4 days a week); at every opportunity you will be surrounded by expert advice.
Our personal tutors are leaders in their field, and are able to supply you with years of valuable industry knowledge, tips and instruction that can help to guide your learning experience.
Similarly, our student support team are readily available to lend their advice; answers your questions, and be a shoulder to lean on. Their support is only a click away.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No interest charged on monthly payments
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully accredited by Ofqual regulated awarding bodies
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully endorsed qualification, with certification provided by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to pay between 3-12 months depending on what you choose.
Unlike other providers, we do not charge interest and there are no credit checks or application forms to complete!
Finance is provided directly via Association of Learning. To meet the criteria you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment is not up to scratch you can re-try as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.