About This Course
What if you could learn how to improve your fiction writing skills; create page-turning plotlines and also gain the inside scoop on how to publish your own work- would you take it?
Our Fiction Writing and Self-Publishing course has been uniquely designed with this exact purpose.
In one exclusive course bundle, you will gain access to all the tools you could ever need to help get your stories noticed, but more importantly, you will learn how to bring structure to your creativity and ideas.
This course covers everything! From exploring new methods for creating characters, to showing you how to develop your settings and ensure authentic dialogues and monologues; by the end of this course you will have acquired a strong foundation of skills that will ensure every piece you create is hard to put down.
In addition, you will also be shown the benefits of self-publishing and how to get your book ready for this stage. From understanding the book production process, to learning the best techniques for marketing and distribution; in just two whole years you will ready to unleash your imagination and creativity onto the world.
And the good news is – you can achieve all of this from the comfort of your own home!
There is no need to attend classes or workshops! Instead, you can study this enlightening course on your own terms and at your own pace, and easily fit it around your current work commitments. We will even send you all of the course materials straight to your home or inbox, meaning you can start whenever you are ready.
Split into 6 units – and a short course in self-publishing – every element of this course is designed to help you achieve your dreams of becoming a successful fiction writer. From putting pen to paper, to getting your book on the shelves; this course covers the entire writing and publication process so you will feel fully prepared in your ambition to self-publish on the World Wide Web.
At the same time, this course will give ample opportunities to test out your newly acquired skills, as you are asked to demonstrate character development and dialogue within your writing projects.
This course will:
- Talk you through the various stages of the writing, publishing and marketing.
- Allow you to achieve a healthy work-study balance, meaning you can write when, where and how you want free of deadlines and pressure.
- Provide you with the perfect stepping stones to becoming the author you want to be.
- Help you to understand and recognise what resources are needed to get started.
- Improve your writing style, dialogues and novel structure.
Fictional Writing Level 3
Unit 1: Getting Started
- Compose a short piece of autobiographical writing
- Explain why, where and how you like to write, and describe your writing voice
- Develop a character using some of your own characteristics
- Develop a piece of fiction using your character
Unit 2: Creation of character and setting
- Create a character sketch
- Create a description of setting from memory demonstrating use of the five senses
- Demonstrate original fiction writing that presents character and setting
- Produce a 200 word plan of a larger piece of work developing your character and/or setting
Unit 3: Dialogue and Monologue
- Critically evaluate the techniques used in monologue and dialogue through analysis of examples
- Produce a critical evaluation of a monologue
- Demonstrate the use of dialogue
- Demonstrate the use of monologue form
Unit 4: Showing, not telling, and creation of character emotions
- Recognise and demonstrate the use of figurative language
- Demonstrate skills of showing, not telling, in writing
- Demonstrate an ability to show character emotion
- Produce an original example of fiction demonstrating the use of ‘showing not telling’ skills, character emotion and figurative language
Unit 5: Genre writing and devising a plot
- Identify your favourite genre and outline the features present
- Make a plan that incorporates development of plot
- Produce an original piece of writing in a chosen genre
- Produce a commentary on the genre specific feature of your writing
Unit 6: Piecing it all together – synoptic project
- Produce an extended piece of original fiction
- Write a synopsis of your idea and how the work will develop
- Write a review of your own writing
- Produce a development plan detailing the next steps in your writing
Self-Publishing – Short course
- Why self-publish?
- Getting your book ready
- Marketing and sales
This course is assessed using a series of written assignments that are designed to test your syllabus knowledge and their application within your own writing projects. These will need to be submitted to your tutor for marking; whereupon they will then supply you with helpful tips and feedback which can be used to boost your grades.
No external examinations are required.
No prior knowledge or experience in writing or publication is required in order to enrol onto this course; only a love for writing and bringing characters to life. You may however, need to conduct your own further reading and research.
This course is endorsed by the Quality Licence Scheme (QLS). QLS endorses high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This means that the course has undergone external quality checks by the awarding body to ensure it meets a high standard.
The learner unit summary may be used as evidence towards recognition of prior learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
We may specialise in the provision of distance learning courses; however, at no point on your learning journey will you feel alone. From day one you will receive your own personal tutor and the assistance of our student support team who will always be on hand to lend you their advice and expertise.
Our personal tutors are built of industry experts, who can take their experiences in this field to help you maximise your potential and improve your writing style as they feedback on your written assignments.
Our student support team are similarly only one click away, so whether you need help understanding your course materials or have an urgent question; they’ll readily answer your queries and never leave you waiting.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully endorsed by external awarding organisations
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully endorsed qualification, with certification provided by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to spread the cost of your course over a 10 month period.
If you choose to pay using a payment plan, to apply you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment doesn’t pass first time, you can retry as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.
Unlike other providers, Association of Learning use a fast-track system to get your certificate to you within six weeks (our average is two weeks).