About This Course
Do you dream of working in publishing and helping aspiring authors to publish their work? Or do you dream of becoming of your own boss and using your natural writing skills to become a freelance editor or proof reader? No matter your career aspirations, our Editing and Proofreading Level 3 course can help you to delve into this world and create a strong foundation to build from.
Designed for home study, this incredible course can make a fantastic difference to your career choices. From helping you to understand and identify different types of editing (and how to approach them), to discovering how to proofread different types of copy; you can uncover what it means to work as a freelance editor or proof reader, and ensure that you never get confused between editing and proofreading.
More importantly, you learn how to edit text; identify common punctuation and grammar mistakes, and ensure that it is appropriate for the targeted audience.
This course takes just one year to complete, yet you can easily fit it around your current work obligations and achieve a healthy work-study balance. You can choose when, where and how you study, and do it all from the comfort of your own home.
Split into 6 units, this unique course is a great addition to your CV. Alongside helping to boost your editing and proofreading skills; by the end of this course you will have a thorough knowledge and comprehension of how to apply these newly acquired skills within a practical setting, as well as be equipped to face the many challenges professional editors have to deal with on a daily basis.
With this course, you will:
- Be able to study on your own terms – free of deadlines, stress and pressure.
- Have your course materials delivered straight to your home or inbox, offering you a convenient way to study.
- Boost your literature skills and credentials.
- Broaden your career prospects, allowing you to work within a publishing environment or as your own boss.
- Differences between proofreading and editing
- Different types of editing
- Marking up and edited file electronically
- BSI proofreading marks
- Editing a text for a targeted audience
- Difference styles of English
- Compare style guides
- Setting up a style sheet
- Conventions for different types of writing
- Common punctuation errors
- Grammatical mistakes
- Using a spell checker and its shortcomings
- Dealing with legal issues in the text
- Point of view
- Tracking and kerning
- Marking up errors
- Widows and orphans and eliminating them
- Using italics and emboldening
- Checking tables and figures
- Elements that make up a book
- Working practices to improve proofreading
- Layout errors and correcting them
- Fact check to an appropriate level
- Different approaches to working with fiction and non-fiction
- Addressing structural issues
- How to work as a freelance editor/proof reader
Unit 1: Getting Started
Unit 2: Consider your Audience
Unit 3: Grammar and Punctuation
Unit 4: Enhancing the Text
Unit 5: Proofreading
Unit 6: Larger issues and working as a freelance editor
This course is assessed using a series of written assignments that will test your knowledge of the syllabus. You will also be expected to complete a final assignment where you will be asked to edit a 1,500 word (approx.) text. These will all need to be submitted to and marked by your personal tutor, who will supply helpful tips and feedback.
No external examinations are required.
To enrol onto this course, you will be expected to have a reasonable standard of written English, as well as a familiarity with British style English and spellings.
Upon successful completion of this course you will receive a Certificate of Achievement by Training Qualifications UK (TQUK) in Editing and Proofreading Level 3.
This course has been designed by Open Study College to meet the specific requirements of learners and future employers. This course is endorsed by TQUK, meaning they have undergone external quality checks to ensure that they – and their courses – meet a high standard.
The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification; however, you may use it as evidence of your knowledge and skills in future regulated qualifications. In addition, you may use the unit summary as evidence of ‘Recognition of Prior Learning’ should you choose to progress your studies within this field.
From the moment you enrol onto this course, you will receive the highest standard of care and support. We take pride in helping our students to flourish, so whilst this course may be designed for home study, you will never be alone.
Instead, you will be able to harness our comprehensive course materials and study guides, and access our student support team as and when you need them. Available by mail or by email, you can easily contact them with your questions and take advantage of their expertise.
Similarly, our personal tutors consist of industry specialists, who at a click of a button can advise, instruct and influence your studies. Their feedback on your assignments can prove especially beneficial, as their tips can be used to boost your course grades.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a question that our team are often asked, there are many reasons but here are the main reasons to choose Association of Learning:
- No interest charged on monthly payments
- No hidden charges, the price you see includes everything, from VAT, tutoring to certification
- Our average tutor marking time is 3 working days (most providers are 10+)
- We are rated 5/5 for our service on Trustpilot!
- Our courses are up to date. Many providers create course content and fail to keep it up to date.
- We are open later than any other home learning provider
- As many submissions as you need to complete, many providers cap how many times you can submit work
- All courses are fully accredited by Ofqual regulated awarding bodies
- 14 day money back guarantee or course switch.
If you need any more reasons to choose Association of Learning, contact our team!
All students are provided with 12 months to complete their course, however you are able to complete at a faster pace without any additional costs. Some of our students have managed to complete in as little as 3 months!
This is a fully endorsed qualification, with certification provided by an Ofqual regulated awarding body.
There are two payment options, pay in full for your course or monthly. Our monthly payment option allows you to pay between 3-12 months depending on what you choose.
Unlike other providers, we do not charge interest and there are no credit checks or application forms to complete!
Finance is provided directly via Association of Learning. To meet the criteria you must be able to answer yes to the following:
- Your billing address is based in the UK
- You have a UK based bank account
- Bill payer must be 18 or above.
No, this course is assignment based, which means you will not have to complete any exams. If your assignment is not up to scratch you can re-try as many times as you need within your 12 months support period.
No, all of our courses are distance learning which means your tutor will mark your work and send it back to you via email or by using our online portal.