The good news is – yes you can! True, a lot of employers prefer to see some form of work experience before they hire you, and yes, work experience can help to strength your career prospects, however it is not the be all and end all.
In fact, it is entirely possible to get onto the job ladder and even explore a new career without first having experience.
Here are some potential jobs:
- Flight Attendant – if you love the idea of travelling around the world and visiting new countries, then you’ll love this job as most airlines don’t require any A Levels or University credits. All they ask for is a minimum of 4 GCSEs including English and Maths. Knowing another language is considered a bonus.
Starting salary: £20,000 (this can increase by up to 3 times this sum as you gain experience).
Points to remember: this role can be physically and emotionally demanding, and you need to bear in mind that you will be responsible for the safety of hundreds of people per flight.
- Delivery Driver – this position is great if you love driving around and have excellent customer service skills. In addition to basic pay, you can earn bonuses and get tips from customers.
Points to remember: the lowest paid delivery drivers usually handle food and beverage deliveries. To earn more you can switch to DHL, Hermes or FedEx. You will also need a valid driver’s license.
- Bartender – depending on the type of bar, you’ll find that most of your shifts happen in the evening, which can prove ideal if you’re studying or have a day time job already.
Overall though, this role is highly energetic and physically demanding, and comes with the opportunity to earn tips.
Tip: to increase your earnings, you can sign up for some bartending courses where you can learn about mixology, wines and creating cocktails. The more you can do, the more tips you’ll earn.
- Flooring Installers – no formal education or experience is needed for this role. Instead, you’ll be able to learn on the job as they’ll sign you up for a 4 year apprenticeship
- Oil and Gas Field Worker – if you’re prone to home sickness then this isn’t the job for you. However, it can be incredibly rewarding should you give it a try. In this post you will need great attention to detail and will be asked to assemble and repair mechanical and hydraulic equipment. Like the position above, you’ll be able to learn on the job and can even become a specialist as your experience grows.
- Plumber – like floor installers, you can get an apprenticeship and can learn on the job without any prior experience. The first 5 years will be spent learning under a journeyman who will put your puzzle and problem solving skills to the test. Once qualified you can earn as much as £40,000 per year.
- Sales Representative – if you love working with people and products, then you may enjoy working as a sales representative, as it will put your people skills to the test. Most sales representative posts have pretty decent salaries; however, commissions are the best way to boost your income.
These are just a handful of jobs you can apply for without any prior work experience – there are many more you can try. So if you’re looking to try something new or are afraid you won’t get a job because you lack experience, then why not give these a try? To help boost your employability/skills take a look at our range of online courses today.