Examine any business structure and you’ll soon discover a world that is heavily reliant on computers. And it is not surprising…
In one neat compact package, you can instantly access an endless stream of information – as well as online training and resources – that can greatly enhance business productivity and communication.
Bearing this in mind, it is little wonder that employers expect computer skills on your resume, as it is a key part of a functioning workplace.
What are basic computer skills?
Naturally, there are different skill levels, and the amount of knowledge you need to know will vary depending on the job. However, in most instances you will be expected to have a basic level of computer literacy.
These basic skills can be defined as having:
- The ability to operate a computer and mouse.
- A knowledge of basic computer programs e.g. Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint and Word etc., so you can easily create documents and produce working spreadsheets.
The ability to operate a computer and mouse.These skills are mandatory in almost every job – even in non-office environments – so thinking you can get by without them is not an option.
The same can be said of possessing good internet skills.
In a world that is obsessed with the internet, knowing how to use emails and messaging platforms is essential, especially given the level of dependency businesses have on them as a form of communication.
With just a click of the button, you can send out mass messages to the team; speak to clients – without ever leaving the office – and massively boost productivity, as there is no time delay from delivering messages in person.
Can the right computer skills increase your job chances?
Knowing how to use such programs as Excel, PowerPoint and Word will instantly make you more desirable to employers (compared to those that don’t). However, if you were to go one step further and learn how to use these programs at a more advanced level, then this could greatly improve your employability.
Luckily, achieving this is easier than you think…
On the one hand you can take advantage of all the basic and intermediate computer skills classes currently available via colleges and night classes. Or alternatively, you can invest in a range of online courses that allow you to learn all of these essential skills from the comfort of your own home.
If you’re really lucky though, you could end up working for a business that is willing to provide you with in-house/on the job training on more specialised programs.
Your opportunities to learn are endless…
What are the perks of getting advanced training?
- Higher chances of promotion – the more specialised your skills, the quicker you can rise up the ranks and be promoted to a higher position.
- Become a more valued member of the team – your skills can be used to help bring up the standard of the rest of the team, as you can help to train and improve their computer skills.
- More attractive job applicant – businesses are constantly looking to learn new software and train their teams to possess more specialised skills. By already possessing this training and ensuring you are up-to-date with all the latest programs, your application will immediately make you more attractive as they won’t have to invest so much into your training.
- Improve the quality of your work and efficiency – by training yourself to use a variety of programs and apps, these skills will help you to become more organised as well as complete your work in a more efficient manner. The quality of your work will also vastly improve as you’ll be able to create professional looking presentations without hesitation.
More importantly, by learning how to use the internet effectively you can expand your methods of communication and development.
From connecting with friends, family and colleagues from across the globe, to gaining access to mountains of free knowledge and information; with the help of the internet you can learn skills that were previously unavailable to you.
So if you are looking to change career paths, or climb the job ladder, why not improve your computer and internet skills today? With a stream of knowledge readily at your disposal; you too can broaden your horizons.